Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic I: mid-HG replacement photos

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by mojolicious View Post
Have now established that both the MAP/inlet hose (pre-busted) and the tee-piece hosiery to the right of the injection rail (newly busted) are both Magic Renault Parts rather then generic lumps. Bugger.

It all adds up, eh?
That tee-piece comes with the three attached pipes and costs over forty quid when VAT's added...

Car is now largely reassembled. As it was getting on a bit we decided to skip the radiator flush for the night and simply fill up with water to see if the beast would actually start. I proudly removed my Quinton Hazell thermostat from the box to discover it doesn't come with a sealing ring. And the old seal had been in the footwell of my sister's car. Which she'd had valeted two hours previously. Doh.

Undeterred we decide to skip the thermostat for the night and move straight onto the starting stage...

Car starts and runs. Only gave it a couple of goes for 10 seconds or so - we felt more would be imprudent given the lack of a cooling system - but it sounded fine. There was absolutely no idle and the engine dies as soon as you come off the accelerator, which we're rather hopefully putting down to 'newly reconnected fuel system syndrome'. I personally suspect putting the throttle cable back on in the dark might be more likely, but we shall see once the coolant system's up and runing and we can run the engine for a while.

Today's quick questions:

1) Is there supposed to be a gasket between the two halves of the thermostat case? Haynes suggests it's not always the case, and I guess a suitably compressed thermostat seal would indeed seal the casing?

2) Why is adjusting the two auxiliary belts more of a pain than adjusting the timing belt? What sort of rotation should I be able to put on them? Both are currently 90-100, which is what the old belts were. Does this sound about right?

3) What's this? It's about 22.5" long and looks very familiar. It's our only 'left over'...

Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome