Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic I: mid-HG replacement photos

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 14th April 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Oooh, I picked the right time to check back...

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Just quietly sitting back waiting for your next move - what on earths keeping you
Sorry, I'm a bit stiff this morning from being bent over the car removing and refitting the bottom hose 27 times while the sleet trickled down my builder's bum

I take it the heater was giving out heat before the drain down - if not it could be a blocked matrix.
The problem started at the same time as the HGF. Obviously the coolant levels were all over the place at the time, so I'm guessing that's when the airlock formed. Although given how few solids came out with the RadFlush I've probably pushed all the crud into the matrix.

Have you tried letting the engine idle with the coolant cap off - and the occasional blip of the throttle- so any air locks can dissipate - just watch it doesn't boil over.
Hell yes. Spent fifteen minutes his morning gently massaging my hose and managed to lower the expansion tank by a couple of inches. Stationary heater temp briefly rose to 'lukewarm' then died again. Will keep at it; failing that will take it to a garage at some point because I believe they have Magic Pumps for such purposes. No need to do it now because summer's here...

Universal blue is only designed to work on face to face joints or as an addition to the proper gasket.
Doesn't the inlet manifold / throttle housing count as 'face to face'?

Have you loosened all the bolts and nuts retaining the alternator including the one that attaches the sliding bar thingy to the engine (not only the one on the alternator)
Hmmm. Firstly, I can't see the hell what's going on down there. Secondly, I didn't do that particular 'reconstruction' myself so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. You're saying the slidey bracket thing is attached to the block at a single point and this also needs loosening? Not mentioned in the Blessed Haynes, and in the Haynes illustration the bracket looks very solid and immobile. I could always try to find a three rib belt that's an inch or two shorter, of course...

Keep going you'll get there (he hopefully said rolling his eyes) and keep us posted
Pah. Do you want to come and repack a CV gaiter?
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome