Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic questions

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2008
Kevin Shields
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Pete,
Hope u have a good day tomorrow and this rain dissappears!
If its your first time out with a caravan can i suggest not going too far ?
We've been towing for well over a decade now and always found that with a "new" trailer/ caravan you always find some issue first time out. We found that for the very first time its best to be within an hours drive of home or half an hour from a caravan dealer for those overlooked "essentials" or catastrophes.
You'd be surprised at what goes wrong for even old camping hands like our family or what gets forgotten.

Since my last mail I've found the paperwork from when i was researching spring assisters for my grand scenic - Grayston Engineering ( recommended doughnut type coil spring assister model GE14 (to suit 26 to 38mm gap between coils ) from their range. Back in 2005 they were quoting 18.99 per side (inc vat) plus postage or 150 for replacement heavy duty coil springs. They reported that the car's suspension layout means it will not take additional auxiliary spring kits so unfortunately the "middle ground" is'nt an option to us grand scenic owners and its either replace the original springs or use the doughnut spring inserts. If you are as you sound, handy with cars, you'll be able to fit the doughnuts yourself with a bucket of hot water and some washing up liquid. But if you decide to replace the springs, from my personal experience with previous cars, i'd recommend you get it done professionally.

p.s. Don't forget your towing mirror! (i usually did and now it lives in one of the cubby holes in the boot so i don't any more )
Currently in Kevin Shields's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic 1.9DCI & 2007 Megane 1.5 dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome