Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Could bypassing a sensor damage the ECU?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Could bypassing a sensor damage the ECU?

I have a Megane Scenic 2.0l petrol, 1998.

I believe that the air temperature inlet sensor is defective in that it is showing an open circuit - infinite resistance -when tested with an ohm meter (thanks due to chris m for pointing me towards this).

The correct values for this sensor are:

At 0'C - 7.5k to 11.9k
At 20'C - 3.0k to 4.0k
At 40'C - 1.3k to 1.6k

I feel this is causing the ECU to see the air temperature as cold and therefore it is adjusting the mixture to run permanently rich.

I believe it would be posible to test this by bypassing the sensor - using a piece of wire to bridge the dis-connected two pin connecter. I feel this low resistance would fool the ECU into seeing a warmer air temperature and cause it to adjust the mixture accordingly.

Has anyone any views on this? In particular, would bridging this connector pose any threat of damage to the ECU ?

Also, I have been quoted 33 for a replacement sensor by Renault. Does anyone know whether I could get it cheaper elsewhere?

Many thanks

Currently in raycantii's garage:
1998 Megane Scenic I, 2.0l 8v

Last edited by raycantii; 15th April 2008 at 12:23 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by raycantii
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Could bypassing a sensor damage the ECU? Electronics raycantii 6 1597 15th April 2008 12:21 PM
Scenic I, rough idle - running rich, can you help? Engines raycantii 3 2172 13th April 2008 09:55 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome