Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Executive cars...

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 16th April 2008
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Buying British used to mean you would expect quality much as the German marques reputedly deliver these days.

It all started going wrong in the seventies when the cars were just thrown together. It was the Japanese who showed that cars could be reliable and well-equipped.

British Leyland fell into chaos - the cars the public would buy - competed with cars they also made which the public wouldn't buy. The only commonality was that they were poorly built.

In the eighties & nineties, this poor reputation was only compounded by the inherent flaw of the 'K' series engine - and its propensity to overheat & warp the head gasket.

Then in this decade, they had no money left for re-investing in new products - so they just tacked on more plastic wood & chrome. Or produced meaningless cars like the MG SVT.

They were too big to be niche, and too small to be profitable. If only they had downsized and concentrated on one or two new products...

Very interesting to compare BL (then) with VW Group (today) as they were of similar size and contain different brands.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome