Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic I: mid-HG replacement photos

View Single Post
post #40 of (permalink) Old 17th April 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Jubilee clips wont work on CV boots as theit threaded worm drive will foul the surrounding hub and end up tearing the boot to shreds. Many garages don't use the metal clips because either they don't know how to use them or don't have the required crimping pliers for the job. I have fitted numerous nylon cable ties to CV with good success - although there is a bit of a art to it. Getting a decent cable tie that is broad is also difficult. Once you get the cable tie in position and pull it up reasonable tight by hand you can get a good more 3-4 notches by holding the tail with one set of pliers and pressing down on the buckle with another pair. You can get releasable cable ties which will let you have a few goes at it.
Why not have a go at doing the tappets yourself - easier than doing a head gasket - in my view. The cost of a few spanners and a set of feeler gauges would be well worth it.

See the link below - although it for the old VW engine the principle is the same
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome