Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic I: mid-HG replacement photos

View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 17th April 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Backtracking a bit...

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Once you get the cable tie in position and pull it up reasonable tight by hand you can get a good more 3-4 notches by holding the tail with one set of pliers and pressing down on the buckle with another pair.
This should in theory be possible with the metal tie I'm using (although I've no idea why it couldn't be 'toothed'). I've assigned the job to my Glamorous Young Assistant and his Incredible Neanderthal Hands.

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Why not have a go at doing the tappets yourself - easier than doing a head gasket - in my view. The cost of a few spanners and a set of feeler gauges would be well worth it.
Heh, a hell of a lot easier than a HG. Did it on my Vitesse once, and it still worked afterwards

Thanks for the link.

How can I distinguish between TDC and 180 away from TDC , ie between compression and exhaust strokes? Don't have a mark on the flywheel, so would I have to remove the timing belt cover again and check the mark on the cam pulley?

Presumably someone with a brain could tell by the position of the cam followers when the cover's off, the crank is rotated, and a screwdriver's chucked down the #1 plug 'ole.

If only I had a brain...
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome