Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Minor service, mechanic doesn't want to change spark plugs

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 18th April 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
It depends on what type of plugs are fitted and when last changed. Some are long life plugs good for 25-30K. I understand his reluctance to remove the plugs and then a coil goes duff - then you will be back to him looking for a free repair. I have changed numerous plugs without coil problems but it one of those things - you gotta take a chance. It is also recognised that poor plugs can cause coil problems so it is recommended the plugs be changed when the coils are renewed. If you request the plugs be changed and a fault occurs - he can hardly be held responsible. Mechanics just don't like things going wrong as I'm sure you will agree. It may be wise to check with the garage that fitted the coils if they also renewed the plugs at the same time.
If changing the plugs I suggest you use long-life plugs if you intend to keep the car for some time.
Although the above is not a definative answer I don't believe there is a balck or white answer to your query.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome