Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Dual Fuel advice Plz

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 19th April 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to Mike11 Send a message via Skype™ to Mike11
I didn't think Autogas/LPG could be put on Diesel? News to me anyway.

@ Hondo ~

Cost and Parts:

I'm not sure about newer cars and warranty, however, my conversion cost me about 1700. I got a full LPG conversion, you get the biggest tank they can fit in. I got mine fitted into my spare wheel well in the boot. It is a 50ltr tank. You can only fill it to about 80-85% I think but don't let that put you off.

They install a little switch in the front of the car somewhere on the dash, you can discuss the location of this with them. The switch has a set of LED's on it which change as your tank runs empty and also show you the state when warming up.

You have an additional filling point fitted to the car specific for LPG. Once again you have a say in where you would like it, if possible.

Under the bonnet you get an additional ECU for the gas, some other bits that lead to the cylinders and injectors, some solenoid valves and a filter.

I will take some pics of mine when I get chance for you mate.

Running costs:

It costs me about 22 to fill it up at about 53.9p per litre. Out of this I can get up to about 320 miles ish but most of them are done on the motorway. Around town I think it is reduced to about 230 maybe.

If you are doing quite a few mototrway miles then I fully recommend it. It is gonna save me a fortune. I usually spend about 400 a month on Petrol. With gas I save about 160 which is quite a bit each month.

As for this, It loses so little you hardly notice it really. I don't think I can max my revs as high but that is about it I think, lol. There isn't too much difference.

basically you start the car in petrol as normal, you then have a choice, wait until your engine has warmed up or drive straight away whilst still in petrol. Once the engine has reached normal temperature the LED's change and go to the next sequence which I believe is about 10seconds set timer preset by the garage.

Then it'll goto the next stage. When your revs reach about 2000RPM and you lift off it will goto the final stage preparing to change. Do this again and it changes to gas.

Sounds a bit of hassle but if you think, when your engine has warmed up, just set off as normal and when you change gears it'll go through the stages without you noticing.

Your car doesn't do anything when it changes, doesn't judder, nothing. I only notice it when I look at the LED's, lol.

When you run out of LPG the system is designed to switch straight from gas to petrol without so much as a hitch. Once again you wouldn't even know if you didn't look at the LED's.

NOTE: It won't change to gas if you run out of petrol as it needs petrol to start.

You can switch between them yourself too. You don't have to always goto gas. You can disable it so it runs on petrol as normal then switch it on when you want.

I'm done for typing for now, lol. I'll get those pictures for you and it might help put some of this to sense, ha.

Hope it all helps Hondo.
Currently in Mike11's garage:
An LPG powered Ford Focus ST170.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome