Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Need A New Key Cheap Look Here !!!

View Single Post
post #69 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by delta1066 View Post
Easy way to tell the difference... The IR fobs have like a small black bulb looking thing near the key blade. Thats the IR transmitter and doesn't light up or anything. See this pic:

You can see the IR transmitter diode (the bulb looking bit) to the left of the key blade.

RF keys have nothing like this. They have a built in antenna which cannot be seen (and have no need to be seen) as the signal is transmitted through the plastic case.

Hope that helps!
My question remains unanswered but..... The bulb is the device which triggers the unlocking of the car when the key fob is pointed at the sensor. The light in the end does act like a TV Remote. Thing is, when you put a key in the ignition, you don't have to press the button on the key fob. Its surely just the metal key end that meshes with the tumblers and recognises the right key for the right lock. So, with my blank key cut to match my existing key it should start the ignition. or unlock the car if put in the Drivers door. Correct me on this point please Mr Locksmith?
Currently in stuzefrenchwheels's garage:
Safrane Diesel Auto - Benz w140 320S - MR2 G limited - Honda VFR750FJ
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome