Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Need A New Key Cheap Look Here !!!

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by stuzefrenchwheels View Post
My question remains unanswered but..... The bulb is the device which triggers the unlocking of the car when the key fob is pointed at the sensor. The light in the end does act like a TV Remote. Thing is, when you put a key in the ignition, you don't have to press the button on the key fob. Its surely just the metal key end that meshes with the tumblers and recognises the right key for the right lock. So, with my blank key cut to match my existing key it should start the ignition. or unlock the car if put in the Drivers door. Correct me on this point please Mr Locksmith?
On the Megane, which used a IR plip, the act of unlocking the doors disabled the immobiliser. I would guess that if you unlocked with a plip you would be able to start the car without the key, for example by hotwiring, jamming a screwdriver in etc etc. On these cars you lock/unlock the doors to disable the immobiliser, very irritating I often found!

On the RF cars there is as chris says a ring around the ignition barrel that gets the immobiliser disable code or whatever from the key as it is inserted into the ignition barrell. Said ring failed on my brothers Clio thus totally disabling the car, thoug the reote locking still worked.

The Vauxhall Cavalier - one of the safest cars you'll bump into
Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses

Last edited by Bob925; 20th April 2008 at 05:04 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome