Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Need A New Key Cheap Look Here !!!

View Single Post
post #74 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Bob925 View Post
On the Megane, which used a IR plip, the act of unlocking the doors disabled the immobiliser. I would guess that if you unlocked with a plip you would be able to start the car without the key, for example by hotwiring, jamming a screwdriver in etc etc. On these cars you lock/unlock the doors to disable the immobiliser, very irritating I often found!

On the RF cars there is as chris says a ring around the ignition barrel that gets the immobiliser disable code or whatever from the key as it is inserted into the ignition barrell. Said ring failed on my brothers Clio thus totally disabling the car, thoug the reote locking still worked.
My Mercedes when I got it had an alarm and immobiliser. The guy said he didn't think it worked and used to undo the doors with the key and then start the car. Whats the difference to do this with a Megane or Safrane. I do admit that the Meta security alarm on the Merc may not be the same. Guess if I go outside I can try and cut out more theorising but being called to dinner.

As regards your Brothers Clio, when I swam in the Med with the Transponder to a Clio, I had put it in a sealed polythene bag but it got condensation within the bag. Back to the Car my relief when the Doors unlocked, but my dismay when the engine wouldn't start. The keyfob had no sign of water ingress when the French mechanic arrived and opened it, but he just shrugged his shoulders and hitched it onto a Trailer. Had the worst 200mile drive from Marseille to Frejus on the A8 with a Taxi Driver who looked like Chirac and drove like a lunatic. Not a day I care to remember and very heavy on the wallet.
Currently in stuzefrenchwheels's garage:
Safrane Diesel Auto - Benz w140 320S - MR2 G limited - Honda VFR750FJ
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome