Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic RX4 locks up in sand- stops but not bogged

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2008 Thread Starter
Aah Kay
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic RX4 locks up in sand- stops but not bogged

Hello, I'm the proud new owner of a 2001 Renault Scenic RX4 Expression. I'm in australia and where I live there are two main bitumen/ concrete roads and most of the rest is dirt.

So far the RX4 is a great car.

After successfully trying some moderately muddy potholed tracks where the car went beautifully, I took it to the nearest beach and drove with a bit of success until I stopped then tried to turn the car around. It started off then "locked up". It felt as if I was applying the hand brake to all the wheels. Revved it up then let the clutch out and it would simply stop. My passenger got out to check if the wheels spun but no. I decided to drive backwards out the way I had gone in.

I tried lots of times then finally revved it much more and dumped the clutch. The car started moving and as it gained speed began to behave again. My passenger was game to try again so we did it all over again with a more smooth turn and then the engine slowed down and we stopped again. Once more it felt like I had applied the hand brake. It took 5 minutes to get out again. We then looked for a flatter spot area of sand above the road level (so we could at least push back onto the road) and the same thing happened. When I checked around the tyres during the stoppage, there were very small mounds of sand in front and behind the front wheels. The tyres were not deep in, just half the rubber height, and there was no sign of digging in.

I think the traction control was working "too well" and although my manual says that there is a switch to temporarily turn it off. There's none on this car.

Tyres are bridgestone something dueller with an almost road type profile. Perhaps too smooth for the sand

I don't need the sand ability too much but at speed it was very promising. I'm looking at perhaps adding a switch to disable the traction control. is this wise?

This is a very nice family car that seems to go almost anywhere.
Anyone have any ideas on what could be happening and what to do.
Currently in Aah Kay's garage:
2001 Renault Scenic RX4 (australia)
  5 Lastest Threads by Aah Kay
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic RX4 locks up in sand- stops but not bogged Cars & motoring a93h201 12 3787 21st April 2008 03:24 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome