Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Wheels and Tyres - Worn Rear Suspension Bushes

View Single Post
post #255 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy (Another?) Laguna II Rear Suspension Bush question*Fixed*

Hi All,

First Post, First Problem...

My Laguna II (2005 - Phase 1, Dynamique 2.2 dCi, 54k miles) is at the servicing dealer and I've been told that there's a split in the rear suspension bush. The car is 3 months out of warranty.

I've read some threads on here and this seems to be a fairly common problem, and there's some evidence that Renault UK have borne the cost of the fix as a goodwill gesture in some cases. The dealer said that they could authorise a repair themselves if the car was under 50k miles.

In my case Renault UK are refusing a repair (at the moment, at least).

I've contacted Consumer Direct, who suggested approaching the dealer from who I purchased the car to make a complaint under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 - which says that "goods must be of satifactory quality, free from minor defects, safe and durable". The dealer has a responsibility to the purchaser for up to 6 years after the purchase.

When I contacted the selling dealer I was basically laughed at (probably what I expected!).

Any argument that I would make would be on the durability of a suspension component. I don't think that it's acceptable for suspension to fail after only 3 years/54k of mostly motorway driving.

I guess that my question (finally) is whether others would agree with me? How many miles would you expect suspension components to last for? Should i just shut up and accept that I've got to pay for the repair, or should I persue Renault UK/selling dealer further?

It seems to me, given the instances of failure that I've read of on here, that the suspension bushes that have been used are of a particularly low quality.

Thoughts please?

Thanks for your time.

Currently in MikeW68's garage:
2005 Renault Laguna II 2.2dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome