My 36k service is due, plus the car's 4 years old, which probably means I need Brake and Coolant fluid changes as well.
Although I can do most of the things on the sevice, I'd decided a while back to take it to a reputable garage (maybe Riverside in Stockport, as I've seen they're recommended on here) in order to keep the FSH intact, as I thought I might sell the car next year.
Now, analysing what's included;
filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter and spark plugs.
* Check front and rear screen wash/wiper functions (including blade condition), also windscreen condition and rear view mirrors.
* Check seat belt mountings and operation
* Check all internal and external lights and horn
* Test alarm/immobilizer (where fitted)
* Anti-corrosion check-vehicle bodywork
* Check condition of front brake pads and discs
* Check condition of rear pads and discs/drums
* Drain engine
* Check condition and mounting of exhaust system
* Check condition of gaiters and any play in ball joints, steering and drive shafts
* Check for
leaks and condition (including flexible hoses) of: Engine, gearbox, final drive, power steering (where fitted), hydraulic clutch (where fitted), cooling system, brake circuit (including pad wear warning light lads).
* Check for leaks and condition of shock absorbers
* Anti corrosion check of wheel arches, under body and subframes
* Check tyre condition, pressure and tread depth
* Torque tighten wheel bolts (if removed)
* Replace sump plug washer
* Fill engine with
* Check/top up levels of: Front and rear screen washer bottles, power steering fluid, cooling system, brake fluid.
* Check/top up levels of battery (except for sealed for life battery) and tighten terminals. Check charge level.
* Check exhaust emissions
* Check air conditioning drainage holes and condenser (where applicable)
* Complete servicing booklet record section
.. I notice I've already covered some of it, and the rest is nothing I've not tackled before;
- All wipers have been replaced.
- The screen washers work.
- The front pads and discs have been replaced.
- I've already had the rear drums off and checked the shoes
- The front tyres are new, and the rears have about 4-5mm tread.
- The battery's sealed for life.
- No air-con
The only items that I would find difficult/couldn't do, would be,
- Test immobiliser
- Anti-corrosion check
- Play in ball joints etc
- Check exhaust emissions
- Complete service book
so I'm wondering what I'm paying them £150 -£200 for.