Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - personalised plates

View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 31st March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by spirochete
It always worried me that there is a 'clause' in the regulations that states that they have the right to take the Reg No. back if they want it for whatever reason.......( like an MP fancies it?)
The scary part is that, having handed over your dosh (in some cases, take a figure and add several zeroes) you never actually 'own' the registration. It belongs to the DVLA, who can take it off you with good cause (though the only reason they'll generally do it is if you repeatedly ignore notices to change an illegally spaced plate.)

But actual transfers are the tip of the iceberg. Where they make the real money is on retention certificates. You not only have to pre-pay the 80 quid transfer fee, but 25 quid a year to put the number on retainer, and 25 quid each time you want to change any details, including a 'nominee' (and the 'nominee' name has to be correct if you're to be able to sell the plate to anyone else.) So even when we flogged the plate on eBay , we had to pay an extra 25 quid for a new retention certificate with the buyer's name on it as the 'nominee.' The only alternative would have been for him to re-register his car in my wife's name, for her to transfer the plate, and for us to re-register it back to him (a lot of hassle and 'trust' involved for a 25 quid saving.)

But what took the biscuit was an ex-colleage of mine who had his own private plate on a company car. The only way he could get it onto retainer in his own name was to buy an old banger, transfer the registration to it, put the number on retainer and then get rid of the car.

Utter madness!
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome