Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Brake Light Problem?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
It's probably not too serious. I bet that it is either a bad earth connection or (if the brake light and tail light is a single bulb) a bulb problem.

I would start by removing the multi plug connectors to the rear light clusters and looking to see if any of the connections look corroded. You may be able to clean them with with a little fine sandpaper to give them a better contact. Reconnect them and see if the problem is still there.

Also remove the bulbs and see if the bases look corroded. Again, if they do, either replace them or clean them. You could also swap the bulbs from left to right to see if the problem moves to the other side of the car.

I used to have to do the above at least once a year with a 1995 Punto, so I don't know the exact details of the Clio rear lights, but the principle is the same.

Last thing to try is to run a seperate earth lead from the common earth in the light clusters (the connection to all of the bulbs) to somewhere on the chassis of the car.

There are plenty of other threads on this site covering the same kind of problem, so you may be able to find some more Clio specific instructions.

Good luck and post a reply to let us all know how you get on.
Currently in martin999's garage:
2011 (11) VW Passat 2.0 TDi SE + options in Island Grey, 2011 (11) Honda CB1000R in Pearl Cool White... oh and a 2004 (54) Secnic II 1.5dCi Dynamique in Ottoman Blue !
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome