Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sign The Road Tax petition..

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 2nd May 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
It is the retrospective issue that I have a problem with.

look at it this way: Governments levy high taxes on high pollution (as they should) this means that the demand for high emission vehicles gets lower. This forces motor manufactures to develop cleaner cars so they can keep their market share (again, this is as it should be). Increase taxes again and the cycle starts again. This cycle will probably continue until we all have pedal powered cars Now while I agree with the good intentions of the above system, it moves us FORWARD.

So my point is why should you levy those high taxes on older cars which were not designed with the aim of having low emmissions? One answer is to get old polluting cars off the roads, but I don’t agree with this as time and our inclemant weather will do this for you! Of course the other answer is to get more money… I couldn’t possibly comment on that.

Currently in martin999's garage:
2011 (11) VW Passat 2.0 TDi SE + options in Island Grey, 2011 (11) Honda CB1000R in Pearl Cool White... oh and a 2004 (54) Secnic II 1.5dCi Dynamique in Ottoman Blue !
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome