Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sign The Road Tax petition..

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 2nd May 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
i agree that removing old cars from the road is one way to reduce the amount the CO2 of cars, but then more, more modern cars would have to be built to accomodate for this, and that is enviromentally backwards, as it requires much more energy to produce a new car, than it does to keep an older car going.

the real problem with any car is that the design of the internal combustion engine hasnt changed for over 100 years. just the bits that go round it and make it work have been constantly changing to make them more powerful and economical.

cars will only become more enviromentally freindly when a new type of engine or a cleaner/different fuel is used.

for example a small nuclear reactor

• it would be an incredibally economical car, as it may never need to be refulled for the entirety of its life regardless of how many miles it does.
  • it would give hardly any emmissions, other than the odd bit of steam

• when it comes to scrapping the car, nearly all of the engine would be of absoultly no use as it would be contaminated with radiation
  • the reactor would be very heavy due to the amount of sheilding that it would require, usually a dense metal such as lead, but it would not stop all gamma waves
  • an accident would be disasterous if the engine cracked and leaked (chernobyl anyone?)

i know that is not viable, just an example. and sorry for the rant

oh and yes, i have signed the petition
Currently in daft_plonk's garage:
2003 Honda Civic Inspire S 1.6 Vtec
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome