Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Flat Battery - Charging Advice Required

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Flat Battery - Charging Advice Required

Went to use my car this morning after 2 weeks of not using it and the battery was flat. Couldn't open it - had to use the emergency key - and everything electric was dead.

Called the AA and they got me started and told me that the battery would take 24 hours of driving or ticking over to charge!!

I did a 2 hour drive but there is no way I can run the car for 24 hours and I don't have a charger.

Does anyone know if it really needs 24 hours of if the AA guy was just playing it safe to cover themselves?

I am going to the dealer on Wednesday to get some other work done so hopefuly they can charge it up for me if needed, but need to use the car a couple of times tomorrow.

Will the 2 hour drive today have put enough charge in the battery to keep me going? I turned everything electrical off while driving (no climate control, no nav screen, no radio - just what the car needed to run).

The AA guy recommended I run the car for 30 mins to an hour tonight to have any chance of using it tomorrow morning.

And if the 24 hour thing is true does it need a constant 24 hours or will the 2 hours earlier mean I now only need to charge for 22 hours?

And finally, my car is 5 years old in a couple of months, so is there a chance the battery is on it's last legs as I could find no reason the battery would have drained (nothing electrical left on).
Currently in KeyRenRF3's garage:
2003 Renault Laguna II 2.0 IDE Initiale (Petrol, Manual)
  5 Lastest Threads by KeyRenRF3
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Door Handle Not Flush Bodywork liddy 3 1716 1st February 2010 01:19 PM
Warnings and Faults Engines KeyRenRF3 5 2179 5th January 2010 09:58 AM
Snapped Bumper Trim Bodywork VelSatisfied 3 1543 2nd November 2009 08:04 AM
Whine When Coasting Engines madnoel10 9 1996 10th February 2009 04:43 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome