Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Would you buy a Renault, after reading this???.. (The moaners thread)..

View Single Post
post #63 of (permalink) Old 2nd April 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by spirochete
What I don't understand is the " this is my third Renault and they've all been a bl**dy nightmare" type posts......why do you keep buying them if they're that bad?
Okay, I'll bite because I am that person

Four Lagunas in a row:
#1 - '95 2.0 RXE 8v. Never let me down (except with a flat battery if left unused for more than a fortnight, or when a piece of motorway debris hit the water pump.)
#2 - '98 2.0 RXE 8v Trouble. You name it, it leaked. Oil , power steering fluid. Actually, I don't think it ever leaked fuel. It needed a new gearbox at 101K too
#3 - '02 2.0 IDE 16v. I gave them another chance, thinking it couldn't have been worse than the old one. It was. It leaked just about everything at some point, including fuel, power steering fluid, engine oil , gearbox oil , screenwash fluid, the list goes on. The engine would go into 'limp home' mode on a fairly regular basis. Usually stopping and re-starting cleared it, but I got far too familiar with a lot of local dealers. Oh, this needed a new gearbox too, as well as a new power steering rack and pump. In all fairness to it though, it never actually left me stranded (unless you count the time when I refused to drive it because fuel was spraying all over the engine compartment.)
#4 - '05 1.9dCi. Yes, I'd had enough, and this was supposed to be a Peugeot 407 Exec. But the lease costs were silly and the spec of the Renault was enough to sway me. 13,000 miles so far, with only a couple of niggly faults. Maybe I finally got a good 'un, but only time will tell.

So why? Well you can't beat the comfort and spec for the money, and with it being a repmobile, it doesn't cost me a bean when it breaks down. What's more, dealer service (while far from perfect) beats my experiences with Ford and Vauxhall.

Yes, I could have had a poverty spec 3 series for the same money, but I'd rather have the toys than the badge. Give me the fully loaded Laguna any day.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome