Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 13 month old Turbo deceased

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 2nd April 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by hondo
What would I have gained warranty wise from following the above experience, well, about nothing.
The only things I***8217;ve needed to replace on prior Renaults would have fallen under fair wear and tear items e.g. exhausts, batteries, brake shoes / pads, hoses.
Historically, I'd agree. But so far I've watched each of my Renaults get more complicated and less reliable than the last. I'm hoping the current one will buck the trend in the reliability stakes, but it's definitely the most complex of all.

Nowadays, problems that could previously have been repaired quite simply will often need an expensive electronic component to be replaced. Things like the ECU and UCH are coded to the car in a 'one shot' manner (like the keycards supposedly are) so of course you're forced to buy these components brand new rather than finding one from a scrap yard.

Like any insurance, the insurer plans to make money overall. If you play the odds, then you are on average likely to be better off if you just take your chances once the car is out of warranty. But if that one big thing goes wrong (and two of my Lagunas have needed gearboxes so far) you'll be glad you took out the warranty. The few hundred quid that they'll charge for the Laguna warranty may sting at the time, but it'll protect you from any big and nasty surprises for an extra couple of years.

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Obviously you'll have to give the repairing dealer a chance to sort things out, but I'd be inclined to take the car elsewhere in future if you have the option.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome