Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New head unit using radio display

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 9th May 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Bit of further reading...

Appears that Renault made the jump from Radiosat head sets - the ones with the broken buttons - to 'Tuner List' head sets some time during 1999. A Tuner List model won't drive the dashboard radio display; in fact I'm still unclear as to whether a Tuner List model can be installed at all!

For an olde worlde Megane owner this means the radio/cassette (Radiosat 4000) can only be replaced with the following Renault units: a radio/CD (Radiosat 6000) or, possibly, if the loom's already in place and I've no idea if it is, a radio/cassette/CD autochanger (Radiosat 6010 and, um, autochanger).

Beyond that it's third party stuff and loom adapters to get the steering column controls working. Appears these adapters are available for most manufacturers' products. If you want to retain the dashboard display your options get much more confusing (see here) and by the time you've got both dashboard display and steering column control adapters you've probably doubled the cost of the project.

Furthermore, as I discovered when removing my Radiosat 4000, there's not much space back there even for the standard wiring. Hopefully a modern head unit is a bit shallower, else it's going to be a real squeeze.

As my requirements are difficult to fulfil anyway - proper USB slot, AAC playback, not too much tacky coloured plastic and not too many stupid flashing lights - I've given up on the dashboard display.

Actually, having just seen a bank statement I've given up on the entire project for a month or so
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)

Last edited by mojolicious; 9th May 2008 at 10:48 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome