Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Off Side Front Swivel Hub removal

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 9th May 2008 Thread Starter
Paul Simon
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Noel

No, I never managed to remove the bolt in the lower balljoint clamp.

I later read Chris's FAQ on replacing wheel bearings, which involved doing most of what I had to do. I found this bit;

Undo 2 bolts holding bottom ball joint to wishbone

so that's what I ended up doing.

The job's done now. Probably the most difficult thing I've done, and I regret taking it on now cos of the excessive time it took. When you haven't got the right book for your model, you start having doubts about the way your doing things, which makes it seem more difficult.

Somewhat disconcertingly, the driveshaft popped out of the gearbox at the inner end. It isn't held by anything at that end. So I ended up getting the hub off the driveshaft on a bench.

Reading the book again, it sounds like you don't actually have to remove the hub at all. Just undo both hub to strut nuts and bolts, remove only the upper bolt and draw it away from the strut, withdraw the inner end of the driveshaft from the gearbox, then you should be able to knock the driveshaft inwards and eventually out of the hub.

I had to hit the driveshaft very hard (with the nut back on) with a wooden mallet to get it out. I did this with the shaft held in a vice, so I'm doubtful you could do it with the hub still on the car.

Anyway, to temper my regret, can anyone tell me how much a garage would have charged ?
Currently in Paul Simon's garage:
2004 Renault Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome