Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Would you buy a Renault, after reading this???.. (The moaners thread)..

View Single Post
post #71 of (permalink) Old 2nd April 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
only designed to do 500 miles max.......ah........maybe they're not so different.........
While we're all in a grumbling mood..........(?)............

How about dragging body repair shops into the fray?

If dealerships are questionable then (in my experience), 98% of so-called body-shops are the absolute pits!

I've watched quite a few colleagues of mine take their cars back with very questionable repairs after a shunt and wonder if they ever look beyond the fact that some nice shiny two-pack has replaced the mangled metal.

Had the unfortunate honour of being rear-ended in my (then) Merc about 5 years back.......made a bit of a mess of an otherwise pristine car, but not the end of the world.

Next day, ring the insurers etc etc and in due course of it goes to the 'approved' body shop.....a 'good' outfit by all accounts.

Three weeks later I get a call....'all done, come and get it'......which I do......and then, 'Oh! - the indignance because I want to inspect the work before signing for it!'

To cut a very long story short, I rejected the car on no less than 5 occasions, for things like:

Putting broken fittings back on the car ( & then claiming for new ones!)
Drip marks in the paint
Masking tape lines in the laquer
Scratches that weren't there when it went in (take photos first lads!!)
Overspray on the seats
Dead rear-end electrics
New spare tyre being substituted for a knackered one.
'Gluing' cracked body clips back on (can't be *rsed to go and get new ones?)

In the end the insurance arbitrator was called in and eventually (and after threatening court action) I got the car back in a reasonable order - 9 weeks later!

And their final words?.............."Trouble with you 'Sir' is that you know too much about cars for your own good".

What sort of statement is that?.........more like "we hate people like you 'cos you won't let us take the p*ss!"

Nope, I don't like a fair number of dealerships, but I Bl**dy hate 98% insurance company bodyshops!

(Mind you, they got a hell of a shock when my solicitors hit them with the bill for the hired Merc I had for the last 5 weeks of the exercise - AND they capitulated and settled the day before we hauled 'em before a Magistrate!)

Seems that it often pays to kick up a stink.

Rant over

Currently in spirochete's garage:
Jaguar V8 Sport / Mercedes 'E" / Laguna 1.8RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome