Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane R reg. Good car?

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 14th May 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to Mike11 Send a message via Skype™ to Mike11
Originally Posted by delta1066 View Post
We had to change our exhaust once. Since then its been good as gold BUT the middle does hang down slightly and catch on the speed humps...
I hate that when it happens.

Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
How do you get a car with a broken engine to drive over speed bumps?

I have got a Megane 1.6e 1998 and mine has been fine, touch's wood, I have just had my Timing belt done about 4000 miles ago, had quite a few things done to it but like has been said, generally a strong car. Unlike Delta's, mine quite like's the long journeys as I'm currently doing 600+miles a week and run's fine.

Take it for a test drive and listen to it closely. If it knocks when you are accelerating out of the corners then that mean you'll need to replace one or both driveshafts as the CV joint cannot be separated. Listen to the usual things when driving, give the steering wheel a good weaving to listen for the wheel bearings. Use all gears changing gently and fast too to make sure they feel fine.

Also try and make sure you start it from cold. Does the current owner still use it everyday? If so try and meet them in the morning to view. Most people will run the car before they get a viewing as it will start easier.

Also check all the electrics/lights/etc work fine.

Good luck, hope it will be a good car if you decide to buy.
Currently in Mike11's garage:
An LPG powered Ford Focus ST170.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome