Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Replacement Gearbox*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to smiiithy Send a message via Yahoo to smiiithy
Took your advice Delta and picked one up from a local scrap yard for 260 incl delivery. Agreed removal and replacement with my mechanic at 150 fixed rate (about 6 hours) and new clutch assembly for 90; bringing me to a tidy 500.

The replacement gearbox has already done almost 100,00 miles but seems to be in good condition and Im desperate to get back on the road asap. I think I was quite unlucky to have had mine go at 75,000 although over the last 10,000 it has been given a very hard ride.

Drama over

Thanks again,

Originally Posted by delta1066 View Post
Like I said, just get a scrap gearbox instead. Getting a rebuild is more time thus money.

Sure keep the knackered one, when you got some spare cash consider rebuilding it. At the moment it will probably be cheaper just to get another box from a renault breaker.

Keeping a car on the road (unless you have money) means doing it the cheapest way you can find. Most folk here don't have a lot of cash (or they'd throw the car in a garage and let them deal with it at any cost). Thats why most folk are here - they need advice and tips to keep the cost down.

I'm giving you advice: A box rebuild might be more expensive than a scrap box. Make enquiries on the cost of BOTH before you decide.
Currently in smiiithy's garage:
Renault Clio 1.5 dCi Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome