Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1998 Megane Scenic head unit / speaker upgrade

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
1998 Megane Scenic head unit / speaker upgrade

I'm looking for a head unit to replace my Radiosat 4000. My wishlist is as follows:

1) proper 6-pin USB connection to allow me to plug in a USB stick
2) support for AAC-encoded files
3) support for existing controls behind steering wheel
4) doesn't look like a Magaluf niteklub (bye bye Kenwood KDC-W5041xx)

I don't need 'performance', I don't need MP3 player connectivity, I don't need output to the radio display next to the clock on the dashboard, I don't need a CD player (although it looks as if CD-less systems are only found at the higher end of the market at the moment), and I'm looking to spend no more than 100 on the unit and the loom conversion box.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Additionally I'm looking to spend up to 75 on replacing the stock Philips speakers: 13cm woofers in the front doors, and tweeters on the dash. Again, recommendations would be great.

Have dug through 'electronics' and not found an answer to this one (nor indeed the question itself!): having removed a tweeter, and seen the selection of speakers in Halfords, I'm unsure as to how a replacement tweeter fits. It appears the existing tweeter clips into the standard sized 'cup', but replacements don't appear to have clips. They'll fit into the cup, but how are they secured?

Oh, and regarding the silly Renault wiring, has anyone tried these? Looks a lot easier than playing with soldering irons...
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
  5 Lastest Threads by mojolicious
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
F*rd forum General Chat martyboi 13 2320 12th January 2009 05:30 PM
How do I scrap a car?! Cars & motoring VelSatisfied 1 1253 19th November 2008 11:27 AM
Mk1 Scenic revvy issues Engines mojolicious 13 2439 12th November 2008 05:54 PM
Can the expansion tank cap fail? Engines Bob925 16 6982 20th June 2008 04:02 PM
Advice on kid's bike Cycling Club 21 3852 17th June 2008 05:52 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome