Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #286 of (permalink) Old 17th May 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Hello Dave,
Thanks for the clearer picture.
The insurers are obliged to put you back in “at least” the same position enjoyed immediately before the insured event. It is their problem if they cannot find the exact same (including “thumb dents” etc if they insist). It is a well known fact that they will try and get away with paying less for something if they can; I suppose that is to be expected. You had the best proof available of the cost of a replacement for your vehicle in the adverts from a major selling point (Autotrader) and you “challenged” them to find you the equivalent at the lower price that they were offering you in settlement. Well done you for standing your ground where many people wouldn’t just to avoid going to the ombudsman or going to court. Incidentally, they were required to tell you that if you disagree with their assessment, you have the right to go to the ombudsman with your complaint; some do so from the outset whereas some do not. But I’m glad that at least it’s all sorted now. They were lucky you didn’t claim for distress caused by visions of finding your son gasping for air in a smoke-filled car. Incidentally, the BIOA (published "Quality Outcomes" guidelines) also says that the ombudsman should award compensation for the time and effort taken managing your claim.

Unfortunately, Codeye’s claim would have been smaller and he elected to pay for a new wiring-loom himself because he accepted that he couldn’t claim on the terms of his policy. I doubt if it would have been worth his while claiming anyway after considering prejudiced NCB, excess and hassle.

I think it is acceptable that RUK should investigate thoroughly any claim made against them. What is not acceptable is the delay of the outcome (nearly a year) and them telling many other owners that they are not aware of any issue with mirror switches. However it sounds like, in your case at least, they did come clean and do their bit to help you resettle after the experience. I have often said that there are at least some intelligent people working in RCS who are not afraid to use their initiative and their common sense. It is unfortunate that when these qualities do not prevail, Renault stand to lose the loyalty of their present customers who are infinitely more likely to buy their newer models. They lost my custom because they wouldn't entertain contributing towards replacement rear suspension bushes for a 4 year old V6 Laguna with 27k miles (not MOT failure but marked as needing attention soon).

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome