Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much to fill your car?

View Single Post
post #32 of (permalink) Old 26th May 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to Mike11 Send a message via Skype™ to Mike11
Originally Posted by martyboi View Post
I read this a few months back on the higpower forum, and meant to post it up back then . seems like a good idea tho, so pass it on

We are hitting 106.9 p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1.10 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of >an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached
over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the
next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Sounds like a good idea but like politics, it won't happen because there are too many people in the country who only seem to be able to do one thing and can't change, they are too scared!

Originally Posted by Bob925 View Post
69p a litre - it was around that price when I passed my test 11 years ago. Back then, as a student, a fiver in the tank would get you quite a way!

I wish that would work, but in all honesty i'm afraid it won't
If there wasn't people like I mentioned above it actually would imho.

Originally Posted by mojolicious View Post

Duty on unleaded petrol is currently 50.35p per litre (down from 53.65p per litre prior to 1 April). VAT at the standard rate of 17.5% is added to the post-duty price, so if unleaded was 'free' the duty and VAT would add up to 59.16125p.

I'm not convinced that 9.83875p per litre is going to cover extraction and transportation to refineries, let alone the costs of refining, storage and distribution. That's before petrol station operating costs (credit card merchant fees alone would cost 1.5-2.0p a litre). And it certainly wouldn't leave much left over for further exploration, or for R&D into ways of extracting increasingly inaccessible and/or impure crude oil .

Why BP and Esso? What's this 'the two biggest oil companies which now are one' rubbish? Why not Shell, who make larger profits than either of those two? Why not Mobil UK, who are (like Esso) wholly owned by ExxonMobil?

I reckon that this campaign needs a bit of a rethink...
Because BP and Esso always have their prices higher than shell and supermarkets, so it will force them to lower their prices below that mentioned of the above to regain their custom. Then the next stage will be to change garages to other high rollers which would then be shell and supermarkets, etc. It will keep going.

If no-one is buying then they will be made to lower prices. In theory it works, but as said above, people just won't do it.

I say it would work as it works for me now, I never fill up at any other than a supermarket or shell as they are the cheapest.

Another thing I find really annoying is the price of fuel on the motorways, outrageous!! I never can figure out why people use them, why don't they come off at the next junction and I bet there will be a petrol station nearby, save you a fortune for a little bit of time.
Currently in Mike11's garage:
An LPG powered Ford Focus ST170.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome