Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much to fill your car?

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 26th May 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by mojolicious View Post
Why BP and Esso? What's this 'the two biggest oil companies which now are one' rubbish? Why not Shell, who make larger profits than either of those two? Why not Mobil UK, who are (like Esso) wholly owned by ExxonMobil?
Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post
Because BP and Esso always have their prices higher than shell and supermarkets, so it will force them to lower their prices below that mentioned of the above to regain their custom.
Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
Because BP in particular is profiteering. Can you explain to me why petrol/diesel is always 4-6p per litre more expensive at BP stations, even when a Shell station is just a mile down the road?
Ah, okay. Have to say I'd never noticed that, but I'm not a great follower of prices (unlike my mum, who will drive for ten miles to fill up her Corsa for a 5p less per litre )

If people want to raise awareness that certain companies charge significantly more that others, then fair enough. But obviously the discrepancy in price isn't so great that the 'profiteers' are losing market share, and isn't business all about turning a profit?

A 'sensible' boycott and, more significantly, media coverage of the boycott might get a few pence chiselled off the price.

Trying to organise THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! to HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE is going to achieve f*ck all.
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome