Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #882 of (permalink) Old 26th May 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
From what I can determine (It is only my opinion though) neither Renault nor VOSA seem to be independent - so I feel that banging away at them is a lost cause. It may well be that if only one vehicle was independently examined it would only prove one case and everyone else may have to fight their own corner so to speak. I think it needs to be determined whether the problem is caused by either a design fault or poor maintenance as from a legal viewpoint trying to go down both roads would leave the parties being sued a loophole via which to escape. To bring in a truly independent evaluation would cost money and neither VOSA or the BBC have the right to spend public money on a court case or such. The only way I could see it being done is for victims (maybe not the correct term) to join together and either pay or get someone else who is prepared to do so. It may be possible to get a barrister to take the case on a no win - no fee basis but to convince a barrister to do so would require hard evidence which to date is not available. As with many cases it seems those who have lost out are caught out between a rock and a hard place.
As a matter of interest has anyone who has suffered loss sought legal opinion on the matter. It also has to be accepted that whilst the Watchdog programme has highlighted the issue it's opinion as to the cause would probably not be accepted in court - not that I have heard them state what the exact cause is anyway
Personally I have only examined one Clio of the model involved and from what I could determine the fault seemed to be down to poor maintenance and if this was proved to be the cause of the fault not only Renault could be sued but every other garage who ever carried out a service on such a vehicle. No doubt this would not only prove to be messy but also very expensive.
In all honesty I think the situation needs to be considered by a good lawyer who could offer guidance as to the best way forward
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome