Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Squeeky rattly sunroof :mad:

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th April 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Squeeky rattly sunroof :mad:

I drive a 52 plate Clio with an electric tilt and slide sunroof. Over the last year or so it has begun to rattle and squeek even when the car is driven over reasonably smooth surfaces.

I like my car, it is economical, cheap to insure/tax and is comfy. BUT this is driving me to the edge of reason. it is like driving whilst under the influence of some kind of torture!!

I have mentioned it to the dealer when it has been in for service, the first time the car was under warranty and they could find no fault with it (surprise surprise), the last time the car was out of warranty ; the technician said that they are known for this and it is best to learn to live with it as stripping it out the car is costly in terms of hours. i also thought it would be a fiddly job as the guy really didnt seem keen to tackle the job.

I have also tried a couple of independant body shops who say best thing is to take it to dealer or sell the car...

I think the roof module is moving against the shell of the car due to a problem with the seals possibly..but there is no leak (yet!)

Having had a look, there is a ring of bolts around the roof on the inside which I have tightened as some were loose. I am wary of overtightening these bolts in case they strip the threads and or cause the sunroof to leak.

Can anyone help me with this problem please?

Is it a job that i can tackle myself or would it be such a big job that i run the risk of never getting it back together again properly? Have the gear to do most jobs - used to be an agricultural technician many years ago, just lack the garage to do it unless its a sunny day!

What kind of sealant would I need to use to reseal the roof module to the roof of the car?

One thing is for sure, I will never buy another car with a sunroof in it! got air-con, so dont need it!!

Many Thanks

Currently in anthonyjayw's garage:
2004 Renault Clio dCi 80 BHP
  5 Lastest Threads by anthonyjayw
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio dCi hesitant/smokey Engines glynn johns 8 4090 17th March 2009 10:49 PM
Clio 1.5 dCi timing belt change Engines justy22 5 30908 17th March 2009 10:34 PM
Clio tyres - guidance please!! Wheels & tyres davesss 3 1558 24th January 2009 07:21 PM
Front coil spring broken! Steering and Suspension madnoel10 15 44001 9th December 2008 07:39 PM
Renault Cio - Cleaning Seat Belts Interiors 2 1323 10th September 2008 08:29 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome