Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #297 of (permalink) Old 28th May 2008
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by brigatti View Post
Has anyone else actually received the "advisory" (and/or "official recall") correspondence from VOSA/Renault UK?
I think I'm the only one with a letter from VOSA because It was me who took up the whole issue directly with them. If you take a look at the one I posted up it clearly states that there is an issue which Renault UK need to address by means of fitting a replacement switch.

In answer to other questions, the 2000 plate Scenic fits exactly with all of the others that have caught fire to my knowledge.

I am going to follow this up with VOSA and RUK myself to see why we are now at the end of May and they are now starting to deny all knowledge of the whole fire risk issue.

To answer abebaby's question, the switch is fairly easy to pop out and visually check for signs of melting. Best advice is to set the mirrors in the desired position and then leave the switch in the 'Centre' position. This will not remove the risk of the fault occuring however as the switch is permanently live, to remove the risk altogether it would be better to unplug the connector from the back of the switch and tape it over with insulation tape. That way there is no possibility of a fire developing!!

Better still RENAULT do as you said you were going to and get every vehicle in for remedial work - fit the sealed version switch you told me that you were going to do!!!!

Let you know what VOSA say in the meantime.

Cheers - Dave

When they said "Heated Mirrors" ................
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique

Last edited by fireball scenic; 28th May 2008 at 12:23 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome