Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - I Hate Speed Cameras!!!!!

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 28th May 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
The interesting thing is that all these 'villages' with wide roads and good sighting that beg for 40 mph limits to be reduced to 30mph with cameras seem to forget that they are often historical main routes:

1) The speed limit down my double parked Victorian street with a one car width (sometimes less!), is still 30mph - the same, whereas that really SHOULD BE 20mph;

2) it's usually only tourists and errant strangers that get caught doing a well observed steady 35/38/39 or even 42 at nigth with no-one about and plenty of spare road width... locals don't, but they then speed up immediately despite other dangers. In other words they catch the onece in a lifetime visitor driving just above the speed limit, yet nominally at a sensible speed for the road conditions - and not the local lads driving dangerously everywhere else;

3) the fact that back in the 60's and 70's we were always aware that traffic cops could be anywhere and potentially everywhere, on his Police motorbike, in unmarked cars etc and would be more sensitive in pulling you over than 'just' speed, made one always think twice about erratic or over-zealous driving - and I have to say, they often seemed to make very good subjective judgements as to how out of order one was being, rather than purely objective ones - they don't seem to exist now, certainly around London and the Home Counties.

So the cameras don't teach good sensible road use and manners, they just teach good observation of cameras and complete ignorance of most other factors...

They've also encouraged the 'do gooder loiterers', who annoy others immensely, to the point of driving everywhere at 27 mph, due to their speedos always reading high, through 40 limits and sometimes taking miles to pick up any sensinble and reasonable speed for the road conditions... thus encouraging unnecessary (and often dangerous) overtaking!
Currently in HarryMann's garage:
VW T3's

Last edited by HarryMann; 28th May 2008 at 08:34 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome