Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Have I done the right things????

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 8th April 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Benny
My only doubt?

Taking it to a main dealer.

Find an independent to do the service for you. The majority of the service is mind-warpingly simple (especially for an interim service) and you'll probably end up paying half as much money for the exact same work.

It might be worth asking your dealer to tell you exactly what is done on the interim service - I seem to recall it being nothing more than a "filters 'n' fluids" change...

Hi Benny,
Thanks for replying. I had a look at what they list in the "B" service and the only thing I reckoned worthwhile is the brake fluid change.

As I have been reading about so many problems, I thought it might be worthwhile going to these so if it gets flucked up, I might get it sorted out at their cost.

In reality, I'm dreading getting it back with faults it does not yet have!!!

What did you think of the 268 price tag? It must be quite time consuming topping up the windscreen washer and looking at the translucent header tank of the cooling system.

Another thing listed is to top up the aircon. I had my Pug405 for 13 years and it never needed topping, so isn't that just BS? I.e. just to impress and make us think they are actually doing more than just looking under the bonnet.

I remember when they used to require a new car to be serviced after 500 miles (running in) and they were supposed to re-tighten the cylinder head to a new torque setting... Funniest thing is, out of all the new cars I handled in my time, I never saw one where the rocker cover had been removed during the first servicing.

Ah well, it's booked for Tuesday and now I haven't even got a lift because SWMBO had booked the Bertone with our usual Mechmaniac on the same day... both need MOT and tax, come Apr 30th.

Thanks again and I'll let you know if anything interesting happens. I'm still waiting to find out if they should have changed ALL the ignition coils when the first one went during warranty period.

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome