Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electric Window Cable frayed - how easy to replace?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 3rd June 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by parkj83 View Post

Hubbie's got a 51 laguna, and the NSF window cable has frayed - not snapped yet.

I opened the window, and there was a grinding noise, and it stopped half-way. Couldn't shut or open it.

Called out RAC who helped us close it, but showed us how the cable had frayed.

Said Renault would charge 600+ to replace (admittedly, haven't actually asked them, but our local dealer is pretty pricey, although level of service is brilliant),because item is behind SI bars, therefore needs lots of time. Can't afford that!!

Is it something I can fix myself, with help from a friend?
RAC man was talking out of his tailpipe

To get to the mechanism you remove the door card which is a 5 minute job once you know where the fixings are and what order to remove them in. This is posted on here somewhere - probably on the reg thread on the laguna articles page.

The regulator itself is bolted to the door by about 4 bolts and is also dead easy to remove, once you've unclipped the clips on the outside of the pegs the window sit on You can support the window with duct tape or a length of wood.

Now the fun part. You can either a) repair your regulator or b) fit a new regulator with or without motor. Option a) is about 20, b) is 40 without or 60 with, and is the easier option.

Either way, even a stealership would probably charge no more than 260

Currently in bpowell555's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 2.2dCi Initiale, 1990 E30 325i Touring (Bavarian Tigzwerken Express)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome