Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sat Nav not Working

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by FedUP
I have wired the new antenna direct into the back of the Sat Nav box should it be wired into the Sat Nav controls and then from there into the box?
I think I might be getting mixed up there. I think the sat-nav feed goes into the rear of the control panel on the Laguna II (at least that's where they tell you to look for the mobile antenna feed, which isn't there on models with Carminat.) I assumed that the Laguna I was the same, but I could easily be wrong.
I can't belive Renault have no idea what is wrong, surely they can just plug it in. In the diagnostics it says I have an HW failure (Hardware?) and give it a code 1. What does all that mean?
It's just the way things work these days: If something is broken, you just swap the module. They don't get involved in repairing the things.

The fact that it's registering a hardware failure would suggest that the receiver has packed up. But the only way to tell for sure would be to find a similar, working model, park it somewhere where it can't get the signal, and see if the result is the same.
I would consider replacing the box if I could get it at a reasonable cost and even use a third party unit if it could be wired up to use the existing controls and viewing panel.
There are plenty of systems that will give you navigation and work with the existing steering controls for the stereo. The tricky part will be finding one that will interface to a third-party external display. I believe the display will take a standard video input (though it has to be NTSC) so you'd be looking for a unit that could output the map in that format. I doubt you'll find anything that'll interface to the existing sat-nav controls.
I can't find company to have a look at it and try a repair on the box if that is the problem, it could be a simple loose connection.
It's a long shot, but it might be worth contacting VDO-Dayton - if it's their software, then maybe they were contracted to design and produce the hardware. Whether or not they still support it is a different kettle of fish.
The problem comes when I need to sell on the car
It's got a 3 litre V6 engine and full leather interior. Just how much icing does a potential buyer want on their cake? Seriously though, I doubt working sat-nav will make that much difference on the resale price of a six year old car, which will be even older by the time you come to sell it. I doubt you'll make your money back on the cost of getting it fixed.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome