Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Are Renaults unreliable?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I'm a great follower of the "take as you find" school of thought. I read all the magazines reliability and customer satisfaction surveys where generally Renaults do badly. But my 96 laguna with 136k on it has given great service in the four years I've had it with very little other than normal wear and tear items going wrong. When repairs are needed I use a local mechanic and buy parts from eBay . A recent example is a timing belt change which all in cost £74.
My other car is a 2000 5 series BM with 85k on it. This consistently comes near the top in these same surveys yet mine is a dog! Problems include self-levelling suspension problems, rattling doors, faulty ABS sensors, airbag warning lights, cooling fan replaced, instruments going dead etc etc. When things do go wrong it costs a fortune to fix- the suspension problem cost over a grand to put right!
All told I've had three Renaults and none of them have had any major issues. On the whole I don't think Renaults are any worse than most European cars.
Currently in Phonebox's garage:
1996 2.0 RT Family Estate and 2001 Laguna II 1.9Dci Privilege Sports Tourer.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome