Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - where is the airbag ecu

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 5th June 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Insurers and you as a driver or registered keeper have a responibilty to ensure vehicles are repaired to a certain standard and you also have a responsibility to notify your insurers of any accident you or the car may have been involved in. If you read yor insurance policy it will clearly state you have agreed to maintain the vehicle in a safe and road worthy condition and any breach of those conditions means the insurers can refuse to provide cover in the event of an accident.
Have you asked your insurer about having the restraint system reset - remeber it not only controls the seat tensioners but also the airbags, etc
I think in this situation as a responsible driver you should seek the guidance of your insurers and if they accept its OK to have the system reset - then all well and good.
From a personal viewpoint I would be reluctant to proceed without clarification of my insurers as not only could my life be at risk but also those of my passengers and other road users - especially if the restraint system activated accidently. You have to remember air-bags and the like are pyro-technic devices which if improperly installed or controlled can cause serious damage an dinjury. Just imagine what would happen if you where driving along at 70 mph and the system activated by itself. Safety doesn't come cheap and in my experience short cuts can lead to other serious problems.
I respectfully suggest you do the right thing and consult your insurers regarding the matter.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome