Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - where is the airbag ecu

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 5th June 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I Understand what you are saying but I think you are taking it a bit to far.
Firstly the car is registered as damaged repaired so the insurance know about it.
Secondly the seatbelts have been replaced which is obviously were the safety aspect comes into it.
Thirdly the ecu is not faulty it just holds data that says the pretensioners have been activated. It is just computer data which when reset is hooked up to a computer and the data is reset as the pretensioners have been replaced.

It is puerly the same as resetting the service interval on the dash, you are telling the ecu that the service has been done so it resets, it doesn't mean the ecu is now not working properly.

If I was wanting to do it the cheap way I could get the seatbelts reset and a resistor put accross the pretensioner to con the system into thinking they are ok when they have been deployed. That would have cost about £50 instead I have paid over £400 for new seatbelts. I could also just leave the airbag light on, just look on this forum alone there are hundreds of cars that have the airbag light on for what ever reason.

I have no intention of putting myself, my family or others at risk but on the other hand I have no intention of paying Renault £479 + vat for a new ecu when I know 100% that it doesn't need to be replaced.
One last thing as a clincher, the info that I was given as to how the ecu can be reset was given to me by the body shop manager at Renault who did the repairs on the car.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome