Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - where is the airbag ecu

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 5th June 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
I can understand why manufacturers and repairers are reluctant to reset the restraint activator. If another accident occurs and it doesn't work they could be sued big-time - by replacing with new they are keeping their backs covered and who could blame them in this litigation conscious world. Unfortunately if it is damaged internally the ony sure way of knowing is to dismantle or refurbish it. A computer test will not detect if the accelerometer will activate when required.

It is not the activator that is being reset, it is the ecu that monitors them. Nothing is being changed or altered or anything of that nature it is purely just the data that is being removed.

The sensors detect a crash, they send a message to the ecu to tell it that there has been a crash, the ecu then send a message to the pretensioners or airbags or both and tells them to deploy. That message is then stored in the ecu .
(not technical I know but its the basic principle)
All that I am having done is that message deleted basicaly.
It is the pretensioners or airbags that actually do anything and need replacing.

I promise you, as I say I was told by a Renault employee Renault are just fleecing you.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome