Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Have I done the right things????

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11th April 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
RE- Servicing at Main Dealer... Took it in and took it straight out again.

This morning I took the Lag in for its 4 year service having booked it last week. REA Watford had quoted me £268 including all parts, labour and VAT.

On handing the car over at the desk, I offered both plips because the maintenance book says the batteries have to be changed every two years. The young lady looked amazed and said this was not included in the quotation she had given me. I intimated that it is in the book, as was the coolant change and the brake fluid change, so were these also not included? "That's right sir" was her response.
"So what exactly did you quote for" asked I.
"The full service required by Renault" said she.
"My service book says that Renault tell you that at 4years or 36000 miles, you change the coolant and the brake fluid and every two years you change the batteries in the plips" said I.
"No sir, those are just recommendations so we will do them but you have to pay extra for them" said she.
"My book doesn't say 'recommended'; it says 'Parts to be replaced every...' "said I.
"Would you like to bring the maintenance book from the car and show me" she asked.
"Delighted to" said I. And so I got the book and showed her but she remained adamant.
I said "You quoted me £268 for the service needed on this car and you even checked it with your database. As far as I know, you made a committment but now you are going to ask me for more money. I can demand that you honour your quotation in full."
"This is what the manufacturer says, not us" she said.
"In that case, I had better speak to your manager" said I.

So I went through exactly the same sequence with him and got the very same response. So I asked for the full list of what was included in their 4-yr service which he kept referring to as '36,000 miles service'.

The list consists of changing:
[1] the air filter £18 [Unnecessarily as Renault say every 36k and mine has only done 21k].
[2] the oil filter, £7.17 [Ren say every 18k or 2 yrs which is expected]
[3] the cabin filter £22.18[listed separately in the book, along with the key batteries and coolant/dot4 fluid]
[4] Gasket LA (They said is the oil -drain plug washer)
[5] 5.4 ltrs of ACEA B4 Synth oil £50.44 [ WRONG... Ren say ONLY USE this oil on 3.0d V6 engines... mine's a petrol and needs ACEA A1 or A3]

The sum total of these parts is £98.46 so the labour charge must be £170 (1.7 hrs). There was no mention of the "B" Service which is mostly visual checks anyway but I assume this would have been included (depending on how busy their ramps are, I suppose).

Attached to this list, was another list already prepared by them for additional or related jobs they would be phoning me about during the course of the work. These include:
[1] Renew Coolant £104.43 (Ren say at 72k or 4 yrs
[2] Renew Dot4 fluid £55.67(Ren say at 72k or 4 yrs)
[3] Renew timing belt £835.60 (Ren say at 72k)
[4] Renew fuel filter £47.20 (Ren say at 90k)
[5] Renew spark plugs £160.60 (Ren say at 72k)
[6] Drain/refill Air Con £103.55 (Ren say check level at 4 yrs)
[7] Renew accessory belt £77.96 (Ren say at 72k or 5 yrs).
So they already knew that at least some of these jobs were required but chose to omit them from the quotation just to get in with a low price and then sock it to me later, once the car was in the workshop. Is this sales-psychology moral, I dare ask???

The format has a tick box for selecting which additional jobs the customer accepts to have them carry out. (I suppose this all depends on how relaxed said customer is with money.)

How does someone who knows sweet F.A. about cars deal with this? Would my partner, mother, or mother-in-law be sucked in and spat out in bubbles because they think something catastrophic is about to happen to their car if they don't have these jobs done???

I intend to make an issue of this with Consumer Protection Offices. Can someone convince me PLEASE that I have got it wrong?
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome