Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Questions And Advice

View Single Post
post #80 of (permalink) Old 10th June 2008 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Just to bump this thread(),over the last two days I have attended a MOT refresher course as I have been a tester for 5 years.It has brought foward a couple of new points.

The only way a centre brake light can fail an MOT is if it has been disconnected and no longer works.It doesn't matter how many LED's or bulbs are working or not working in it,if it doesn't work and the tester can't see that the light is wired up,it's a pass and advise.As 99% of manufacturers hide all the wiring under covers,it is pretty much always that case.

Bumpers are not covered by the MOT at all,unless they are damaged and have a sharp edge on them.When I asked if a loose/insecure bumper with a number plate on it is a failure,he replied with the fact that as long as the number plate is securely fitted to the bumper it is deemed OK......even if the bumper is deemed as insecure.

Honestly,if you are annoyed by your car failing an MOT,please spare a thought for the tester.The people who make these rules all sit in offices and have little or no mechanical knowledge,it's not VOSA or the people testing your vehicle.

A brake disc can only fail a test on wear if it is likely to break if the brakes are applied!WTF??????.Believe you me,I am questioning my part in this system at the moment,especially as if I get something wrong I could be up for a court case/prosecution.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome