Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Questions And Advice

View Single Post
post #86 of (permalink) Old 10th June 2008 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiggerz_SRi View Post
I have NEVER been asked re cambelt history on a mot, What would happen if a cam belt/cam chain failed on a mot test?

I assume the garage are liable?!
Oh f##k,I knew that question was coming!.

I think that if you are asked about the cambelt and the general engine condition and you said 'I'm not sure',then we would be able to refuse to test the vehicle.If you said,yeah it;s had a cambelt and an oil change recently,then I'm not 100% sure.........thank f##k,but so far it's never happened to me.I came very close to it on a 1.8 Ford Fiesta once,but it was making a strange noise from the cambelt area.....I refused to do the emissions test,the customer called me all the names under the sun,then came back a week later and said thanks for not wrecking his engine as one of the idlers had disintergrated.

Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
Eek! I think I'm going to forge my MOT certificates from now on... My poor Laggy's only been over 4k a couple of times since I've had it. Anything more might give it a heart attack.

Edit: And come to think of it, the limiter on a mechanically injected engine is set by means of a screw on the IP. How can the MOT tester be certain it is set correctly before doing it?
All we do is rev the engine on a full throttle for the amount of time that the machine allows us to,so if you adjust the throttle/limiter then all we can do is advise that the engine wasn't at full throttle or the limiter cut in early......your car will still pass.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome