Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic valuation. Is this obscene?*Sold*

View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11th June 2008
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,852 Posts
The only advice I would offer is to cost out all these jobs which have appeared and decide whether its better to offer the car at top book with all these jobs done, or if its more cost-effective to sell the car at a price which takes the outstanding costs which await the next owner into account.

Unlike a trader, your only obligation is to describe a vehicle accurately, and sell a roadworthy vehicle. Punters will expect to pay less, so for example;

say the car (with 500 spent on it) should be worth 3800, versus selling it at 3400. A car is only worth what someone will pay, and I would take the point of view that there are more people out there with the lesser amount to spend - so you may get not only more interest, but possibly not have to chip anything off the asking price.

Having detailed estimates on hand for any of the outstanding work, will prevent punters from overestimating the costs they will face (and trying to discount the car any further). Plus it saves you from investing money that you may not get anything back on. You can of course give the customer the option (once they have commited to buy), to pay the higher amount, and get the work done before they get the car.

Hope that helps,

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome