Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Questions And Advice

View Single Post
post #93 of (permalink) Old 11th June 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Originally Posted by lagdti View Post
As for modern diesels,I believe that VW are having to abandon their PD technology as they can't get it to meet the new even stricter emissions regs,and also a lot of older diesel engines aren't turbo charged,as now a turbo is pretty much standard,which can give the impression that it smokes a lot.
I'm not sure it's PD technology specifically... While VWs seem to be what I'm noticing smoking lately, it might just be that Passats are so common in the fleet market. I have definitely seen others - I've seen quite a lot of the Traffic 1.9dCis or the Vauxhall/Nissan equivalents billowing smog, especially on the hills round here, and my Dad's L200 (which is serviced no-expense-spared at Mitsubishi main dealers) is pretty bad.

Anyway, just because a car's got a turbo is no excuse for it to be over-fuelling, even off-boost. Perhaps in an old fashined mechanically injected diesel where the pump compensates for boost before the turbo 's fully spooled up, but there's certainly no excuse in a modern computer controlled engine. Plus, almost all passenger cars from the mid-90s on are TDs. The Lag 1 is a rare exception in a car that was common as an N/A diesel. I've also seen a few N/A 405s about and Meganes, but if you look at the Mondeo, Vectra, Passat, 406, 306, Astra, etc, while some of them may have been offered in N/A versions, but very few of them around.

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 11th June 2008 at 10:11 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome