Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Have I done the right things????

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12th April 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by selwonk
I'd definately be looking for an independent. You are in Hertfordshire so it might be a bit of a pain getting to Portsmouth, but I'm sure you'd get better service at Ren-Tech plus the benefit of a 10% discount on the labour charge:
I wouldn't be going to Portsmouth just to service my motor but I'm sometimes in the area visiting friends and family. Maybe one of these days I'll have occasion to pop in and buy him a beer or something.

Besides, I have a local garage nearby who have never let me down in the 15 years or so that I have been using them, VP AUTOS at Bourne End (that's Herts not Bucks). They now also do the MOT testing. In fact, SWMBO has just done all of that (4-yr service) on the 2.2 Bertone and is quite satisfied that it 'sounds nicer'. All for 125.

This time I thought I would try and justify going to the official maintainers but you read my post about what happened and it seems I am vindicated. Do any of you remember when cars had to go in for a 500mile service??? And do you remember what used to actually get done because it was "free"?

I'm waiting to hear from RUK on this question and I expect it to take some time because no one will want to commit themselves with a company policy statement on such a widely-practiced sales promotion. I am fairly sure that it will be another Herod or Pontius Pilate affair (and no I haven't been smoking anything!!!).

Thank you all for joining in and please keep your observations coming. If you have experienced behaviour of this type or been a victim of it, here's the thread to air your grievances, and alert other members of our community. Fore-warned is fore-armed, they say (I think).

regards to all,

Laguna 2 owner:

Hey thanks for the offer; it's very kind and sensitive of you. I don't object to paying good money for servicing but not when they are extracting the urine out of me. I expect a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. I was totally dismayed when I realised they had pre-printed a list of items to phone me about during the course of the service. Nowhere in my Renault maintenance book does it say that any part of their stipulated work is elective. One major significant factor is that one of the items (the passenger cabin filter) was included in the price despite it not being listed with the "B" service items.

And should I have confidence in a dealership that proposes to use a B4 oil (for diesels) on a supposedly refined 210bhp petrol engine???

Anyway, thanks again,

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome