Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - radar dectectors

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12th April 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Daft question but...

With a true radar detector (rather than a GPS device) you shouldn't get a signal unless you're actually being detected, should you?

I know the unit I used to have would go off at the slightest provocation: Shop door openers, the radar units on the tops of pedestrian lights etc. which is why I finally consigned it to the cupboard (I'd got so used to it going off at random, that I ignored it when it detected a genuine trap. Fortunately, I wasn't going quick enough to be of interest.)

I'd like to think that things have improved a little since, in which case they might only go off if you're being zapped with a bona-fide radar gun. If they do still go off for other reasons, then they're honestly not worth having.

So I suppose the real question is... does it work okay in another vehicle? If it behaves the same in a car that doesn't have the coated windscreen, then you either don't have a problem or it's something other than the windscreen coating.

Edit: I should add that if you're testing it by driving past the local fixed GATSO camera it's unlikely to go off anyway. Most of these are operated via inductive loops in the road rather than radar. Temporary GATSO type cameras used in roadworks are usually radar operated, and so should give you a signal. Be aware that the direction of the radar on the GATSO unit means you don't get much advance warning at all. If you're doing 70 in a 50, you probably won't get enough warning to slow down in time.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome