Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Questions And Advice

View Single Post
post #109 of (permalink) Old 19th June 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post
The picture is quite small. I have had a look at the cluster and all looks ok. I'm not sure if one if the pins inside the connection coming from the loom is loose, however, you can't get it without getting the whole loom, no way am i doing that.

My other option is to goto a breakers and see if that connection is in another car and cut it off and join the wires in mine. Quite an easy job.

However, Bob mentioned putting a new earth lead on from the cluster to the earth point on the car. i am just wondering where on the cluster he connected the lead. On the car it is a simple crimped connection to a nut.
Sorry about the pic size mate, didn't have one to hand so found that one scouring the net and it was quite small, only one I could find detailing what I needed to tell you.

The earth on the light cluster should be common so you should be able to trace it to each bulb in turn and then into the wiring connecter. The + side for each bulb should go into it's own connection on the connecter so should be easy to tell them appart. Failing that an electrical tester will be the key to finding the earth (or a bulb with 2 wires connected to it if no tester is to hand). Turn on your car lights to light up the bulb in the cluster, then remove it. Connect one side of the tester to an earth on the chassie and then touch each conntact in the blulb holder, if the tester reads voltage (or bulb lights) that's the + if not thats the - (earth) should make it easier to trace back to the connecter then. Once there try again just to make sure you've picked up the right one.

Sure there is an easier way and hopefuly a auto spark would be able to tell you but that method should get you going.

Hope this all makes sense mate.
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 19th June 2008 at 02:58 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome